Saturday, April 4, 2009

Genetic Testing of Eggs PRIOR to Freezing

I researched this issue a lot before having my eggs frozen and ultimately decided against it. My RE at NYU also advised against it. The reasons she set forth are quite similar to those in this article:

http://socalbodydoc.livejournal.com/2044.html

Understand, I have no background in medicine. However, from what I have read, eggs are fragile enough. Eggs are mostly made up of water. As a woman ages, the eggs are also more prone to genetic abnormalities. The less the eggs are 'handled' prior to freezing, the better.

When eggs are tested for genetic abnormalities, the contents of the polar body, the DNA, is used. The polar body is stored right outside the egg. To 'get to' the polar body, a biopsy of the polar body must be performed. The experiment completed by 'Pasadena Plastic Surgery' shows that there was damage to the egg after the removal of the polar body. PPS doesn't indicate how big this experiment was and what exactly their results were but it stands to reason, it wasn't at all positive. Any damage is not good.

Again, the egg is fragile enough. I don't want anyone touching my eggs before they are frozen unless it is an absolute necessity. To me, this genetic testing is not necessary at this point in the process. I figured that I can test my eggs when my egg becomes an embryo.

Besides, the genetic testing of eggs is still experimental. I surely don't want to toss any eggs unless I am 100% sure something is wrong.

Read the article for yourself......there are also photos which shows the polar body and biopsy.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I recently completed my egg freezing and had 14 eggs frozen. What is the ideal number your doctors suggested? I am not sure if I should do a second round.

Anonymous said...

http://www.npr.org/templates/player/mediaPlayer.html?action=1&t=1&islist=false&id=104058882&m=104058875


NPR about egg freezing

http://www.newsweek.com/id/195691

Article on "why i freeze my egg"

Welcome to My World said...

I think the average amount of eggs that is frozen in a cycle is 6-7. I think the ideal amount depends on how many children you want to have. This is something I would discuss with my RE.