Saturday, November 15, 2008

CD 2 Time to Take the Meds

I went in to NYU's Fertility Center at about 815 AM and the Center was packed. There had to be about 30 women there taking blood tests, paying, waiting for a sonogram, etc. I was shocked.

Today was also harmless. I was in and out in 30 minutes. It could have been faster but the line to pay was long. Basically, the first time you go to start the process, you get a blood test, take the paperwork to billing, pay and then wait for the sonogram. I got held up in billing. Others had the problems, not me, so the line was long. Everything else was a breeze. The blood test actually took as long as the vaginal sonogram.

At about 1230 PM, I received a call from a nurse at NYU with my instructions for the rest of the day as well as the next 3 days. She told me to take (ok, shoot up actually) 450 IU of Gonal F tthis evening, then 225 IU of Gonal F in the morning. Then later that day, between 8 and 12 hours later, I will take another 225 IU of Gonal F. The following day, I will again take 225 IU in the AM and 225 IU of Gonal F in the PM. Then, Tuesday, I will take no Gonal F. I just show up at NYU between 7 and 9 AM for a new blood test and another sonogram. Easy cheesy.

After 'the call', I gobbled down my yummy brunch (may I recommend Park Ave Autumn at 100 East 63 Street in Manhattan for brunch?) and went to the pharmacy recommended by NYU for the meds. Note that many pharmacies do not have these meds on hand and won't even know what they are. One pharmacy said they would order them for me but I did not want to rely on them being there so I went straight to the recommended NYU Pharmacy, Metro Drugs on Lex and about 68th Street.

Luckily, my meds are covered by my insurance because they cost thousands and thousands of dollars. Why my carrier covers the meds and not the procedure makes no sense but I am happy something is covered.

The Gonal F needs to be refrigerated so I drove straight home and put the boxes (5 in all) in the refrigerator. The rest of the meds (Antagon, HCG trigger meds and the antibiotics) do not need refrigeration. I don't need those until later anyway.

I am off now to actually watch the video that NYU claims is online showing someone shooting up the Gonal F. More on the shooting up after I shoot it up.

I totally forgot to ask the nurse what my FSH and estradiol levels were. Obviously they were good enough to proceed but I still wanted to know. In all my excitement, I forgot to ask. I will defintely remember to ask Tuesday.

No comments: